As the Richmond community received more bad news yesterday regarding the pedophilia of a local comedian I wanted to take the time to remind folks of some important self care. I know when I am stressed out or traumatized I often forget to do the things I usually know to do.
Emotional stress and trauma are real. They take a physical toll on the body. When you are reeling you can do physical things to support yourself.
1. Drink water. Especially since we are having extemely hot weather anyways. Water is so important and you can hrlp your coping ability a ton by increasing your water consumption. Consider if you are sweating or crying a lot, and increase even more.
2. Eat deeply nourishing foods. We feel drained during and after extreme emotion and stress because we are. Give your body back the vitamins, minerals, and nutrition it needs. Broths, bone broth, nettle tea or food, oats or milky oats, and more can all help you get the nourishment you need. Include some probiotic sources like yogurt or fermented foods and beverages.
3. Baths or showers. Wash off the sweat. Refresh and soothe yourself. Use bath salts or sugar scrubs or something you find luxurious.
4. Smudge. Using a sacred plant like sage or palo santo smudge yourself and your space. Use incense or an essential oil burner or whatever you have that works.
5. Take a nap. Rest. Reset your body.
6. Take an internet break. The internet is the worst.
7. Meet up with friends to talk in person. Talk about what is stressing you out if that helps, or just talk about other stuff if you need a break.
8. Exercise and/or go outside. Sometimes the best way to cope is to spend time in nature and get some endorphins going. A walk in the woods, pumping iron at the gym, or running may help you cope.
9. Look to the plants. If you are into herbal medicine at all go to your herbal teas and tinctures. Chamomile tea and other relaxing blends are available at almost all grocery stores these days. Try a tea to soothe your nerves.
10. Express yourself. Sometimes writing or making or or music can help you deal with the emotions you struggle with. Give yourself an outlet.
We can’t stop people from their bad behavior or always protect them from their demons. We can not know what is in others’ hearts. The best we can do is nurture ourselves and those around us. My heart is with everyone reeling today.
You must be logged in to post a comment.