If you have dry, cracking, peeling skin – whether it be from callouses, washing dishes, outdoor work, carpentry or whatever I have to recommend you try a skin salve I have made. The fewer ingredients the fewer potential you will have for issues. I do not use petroleum based ingredients in any of my products. All ingredients are easily pronounced! Except perhaps the Latin names for the plants. Mine has: chickweed oil, calendula oil, yarrow oil, goldenrod oil, coconut oil and beeswax. All oils made with high quality extra virgin olive oil. $7.50 for a 1 ounce tin, $15 for a 2 ounce tin
Posts tagged ‘herbalist’
Today we are out at the Mineral Farmer’s Market in Mineral, Louisa. We are selling a lavender calendula lip balm, a chickweed Calendula yarrow goldenrod skin salve, a chickweed plantain lavender butt balm, a coconut oil chickweed lavender peppermint sugar scrub, a motherwort passionflower oatstraw lemon balm blue vervain tea, a mullein chamomile lemon balm wood betony and cinnamon tea, an Epsom salt cinnamon ginger patchouli grapefruit bath salt, a witch hazel rose calendula yarrow red raspberry heal all facial toner, a mullein red raspberry mugwort uva ursi chamomile smoking blend, and more!
It’s hot yall. My fall/winter/spring nightly cup of hot tea just doesn’t seem appetizing. I still make herbal tea most days, but am happy to have developed a soothing, cooling, nourishing adaptation of southern sweet tea to quench my thirst on these hot days.
Southern Summer Herbal Sweet Tea
10 bags of orange pekoe tea
3 tbsp nettles
3 tbsp milky oats or oatstraw (work with what you’ve got)
2 tbsp red raspberry leaf
2 tbsp motherwort
2 tbsp lemonbalm
1 tbsp blue vervain
Honey or sugar to taste
I put all my herb in tea bags or tea balls, or loose in a big pot of 1 gallon of water. I turn the stove on to boil. How you make your tea affects the medicine and taste. There is definitely room for your personal choice here. I tend to boil my tea with the plants in for 20 minutes. Then I turn the stove off and let the mixture cool with the herbs in. After a bit I remove the plant matter and mix in honey. Then I refrigerate the sweet tea in a tea dispenser with a spout.
Welcome to my website! I am Mo Karnage, a queer, genderqueer, anarchist, sober, vegan, redneck, mother, herbalist, construction worker, and witch among other things.
To put it in a more entertaining way: I have decided I am a lifestyle blogger. My lifestyle is just that of a glittery witch trashpanda anarchist hick. Ur welcome plz follow my enlightening blog, http://www.mokarnage.com
Here you will find my daily haiku, weekly unsolicited advice column “Yall Are Petty”, political essays, herbalist musings and tips, and more. There are also links to my instagram and other social media pages. Most of my content here will be in the form of writing.
I am always happy for opportunities to be published or paid for my writing. I am also interested in opportunities to present at events or conferences on subjects relating to: radical history, anarchism, know your rights, sustainability and old windows, food not bombs, women in construction, herbalism and ptsd, how to write prisoners, grassroots organizing, plant walks, etc.
My construction business is Karnage Creations LLC and we do restoration of historic windows. Find us online at Richmond Window Repair and get in touch if you need windows repaired or restored.
Another of my enterprises is The Heathen Homestead LLC, our herbal farm in Beaverdam, VA. You can see what products we are selling (all kinds of herbal goodies) and what markets we will be at here: The Heathen Homestead. Contact me for scheduling herbal consultations.
As the Richmond community received more bad news yesterday regarding the pedophilia of a local comedian I wanted to take the time to remind folks of some important self care. I know when I am stressed out or traumatized I often forget to do the things I usually know to do.
Emotional stress and trauma are real. They take a physical toll on the body. When you are reeling you can do physical things to support yourself.
1. Drink water. Especially since we are having extemely hot weather anyways. Water is so important and you can hrlp your coping ability a ton by increasing your water consumption. Consider if you are sweating or crying a lot, and increase even more.
2. Eat deeply nourishing foods. We feel drained during and after extreme emotion and stress because we are. Give your body back the vitamins, minerals, and nutrition it needs. Broths, bone broth, nettle tea or food, oats or milky oats, and more can all help you get the nourishment you need. Include some probiotic sources like yogurt or fermented foods and beverages.
3. Baths or showers. Wash off the sweat. Refresh and soothe yourself. Use bath salts or sugar scrubs or something you find luxurious.
4. Smudge. Using a sacred plant like sage or palo santo smudge yourself and your space. Use incense or an essential oil burner or whatever you have that works.
5. Take a nap. Rest. Reset your body.
6. Take an internet break. The internet is the worst.
7. Meet up with friends to talk in person. Talk about what is stressing you out if that helps, or just talk about other stuff if you need a break.
8. Exercise and/or go outside. Sometimes the best way to cope is to spend time in nature and get some endorphins going. A walk in the woods, pumping iron at the gym, or running may help you cope.
9. Look to the plants. If you are into herbal medicine at all go to your herbal teas and tinctures. Chamomile tea and other relaxing blends are available at almost all grocery stores these days. Try a tea to soothe your nerves.
10. Express yourself. Sometimes writing or making or or music can help you deal with the emotions you struggle with. Give yourself an outlet.
We can’t stop people from their bad behavior or always protect them from their demons. We can not know what is in others’ hearts. The best we can do is nurture ourselves and those around us. My heart is with everyone reeling today.
Farmer’s market hot
Sun beating down. Customers
Just look but don’t buy
Gummy baby has
Fifth tooth cut through, his love bites
Are getting more fierce