I love lists, and I love resolutions. I often come up with overly ambitious lists for my New Year. 2017 has been a year of barely keeping my head above water, what with farming, Herbalism, two toddlers, construction business and getting to job of opening and running a café for a church. And then managing the Farmer’s Market was thrown in too. I have pahlenty (sic) to do. I may not make a big list this year. It may be something as simple as ‘have 2 days off a week’. Not quite sure yet.
In the mean time, I have decided to give a 20% discount on coffees, teas, and smoothies to people who come into The Cafe @ St. Stephen’s and write down one of their New Year’s Resolutions for us to display. We want to celebrate, encourage, and inspire everyone who is trying to make positive changes in their lives.
So come by 6000 Grove Avenue and get a discount from now until the end of January. I want to see what goals Richmond has for the new year.
25 Things I Accomplished in 2013
- Went to Puerto Rico and saw lots of friends and had fun
- Went to Key West with family and got to spend time with Marty and had fun
- Went to the beach with Josh to see my grandparents
- Went camping with Josh and the dogs
- Went to the mountains for my birthday to relax
- Went to Boston for Thanksgiving to meet Josh’s family
- Built a back deck on the house
- Built bee hives and put 2 in my backyard
- Wrote my first poetry zine
- Competed in 2 haiku contests
- Supported multiple friends’ campaigns on kickstarter or other similar websites
- Brought lots and lots of food into the neighborhood for free distribution
- Spent a good amount of time at the river
- Had a good relationship with Mitch that ended on good terms
- Met Josh and have that good relationship still
- Learned a ton of carpentry skills
- Started my own website and started writing more
- Got work fixing old windows and built confidence about my ability
- Got a job as Associate Editor at Quail Bell Magazine
- Volunteered with Earth First! Journal, Started writing for Profane Existence
- Went to the March Against Monsanto, the May Day Parade, the March Against Mass Incarceration, the Halloween Parade, and a bunch of Critical Mass bike rides – spent positive time occupying the streets!
- Bought a bus
- Got rid of a bunch of things that I didn’t need
- Built cat houses and started feeding local cats
- Cooked a lot of Food Not Bombs meals, including catering for the People’s Library, RePHRAME, Trans Day of Rememberance, and the Fast Food Worker’s Strike.
And hugely, met and got to spend time with a lot of very different, very awesome people. I learned from everyone. Sometimes it was a learning what not to do, or what to avoid in the future, but hey, now I know. There were some narrowly avoided dangers and potentially really bad things that got rescued, and for that I am ever thankful. If you were a part of my life in 2013, thank you, I hope your 2014 is one filled with self-care and positive thoughts and community engagement.
100 New Years Goals and Resolutions 2014
A combination of simple tasks, lifestyle changes, and things I need to remember to do. Hold me to it yall!
- Get the Truck fixed and running again
- Get the bus fixed and inspected
- Go to Plan-it-x fest in June in Bloomington
- Plant perennial herbs around the property in the spring
Make a Free Little Library for the front of the house Buy plexiglass to make door to finish
- Do 25 sit ups a day (more…)